Through the eyes of a carer for someone with a mental illness

Treatment for Overdose commenced

Leave a comment

Following on from ‘Chris found, overdose taken… A&E it is..’

bruisedChris was taken into a paediatric cubical at some really early hour of the morning; a relief nursing assistant came and took over allowing the other one to go back to the ward. Chris was lying on the trolley; I was sat next to the nursing assistant on chairs next to his bed. The nurse came along and took bloods from him while we waited for the doctor to come along, that took long enough, she asked what had happened, did some examinations and basically said we were waiting on his blood results to come back. The results were taking their time but understandably as the place was pretty packed, hence Chris being in a paediatric cubical, I heard that they were intubating someone in resus, someone had walked in after being stabbed and various other dramatic events.

I sat talking with the nursing assistant to keep myself awake if nothing else. It was heading for three o’clock in the morning now and I was struggling, as is normal of hospitals it was so hot which was adding to my fatigue. Finally at around three in the morning his blood results showed he needed treatment and was started on a drip, he was struggling to keep himself awake, which in a way was good because he wasn’t at risk of running off. The nurse came in and started his drip, he said he was trying to get him a bed and would be moving him up to AMU as soon as he could. He left the cubical and I could hear him talking about all the people they had gone into ‘red’ meaning they had been in accident and emergency over the allowed time (set by government) and had now ‘breached’ but what were they to do if there wasn’t a bed for them on AMU or a ward yet?

Finally at around half past four in the morning Chris was taken up by a familiar porter to AMU and put in a side room, once he was there I decided that I had better get home and get some rest and I would find out how he was in a few hours time. I walked down the corridors until I reached the main entrance. I booked my taxi and waited, not for very long thankfully, I don’t really remember much of the journey home. I was exhausted, I lay on my bed, still fully clothed and glanced at the time, it was almost five thirty in the morning, the girls would be awake soon, there was now no point in trying to sleep, so I stared at the ceiling and started to process the hours before.

(Photo. Bruising from the cannular. Chris arm.)


Author: acarerseyes

I am a mum to four gorgeous girls, and a carer to my former partner of eight years, Chris who has a mental illness, BPD. I blog my experiences.. life is tough! We live in Greater Manchester, UK.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s