Through the eyes of a carer for someone with a mental illness

Bank Holiday Monday – Part Two

Leave a comment

Following on from Bank Holiday Monday – Part One

From behind the curtain came a nurse, she requested to take Chris bloods and once the little tubes had been filled, disappeared off again. After awhile a Dr appeared and 6006288658_7a2070ca96_bstarted to talk to Chris, he asked a few questions, did some examinations, and then turned to me and said ‘what do we normally do for him when he does this?’ After picking my chin up off the floor, double checking my ears to make sure I was hearing correctly and feeling my neck for a stethoscope to make sure I wasn’t in fact a doctor and I had somehow just been plonked there by aliens. I looked at him and said ‘well normally he would need so many hours of monitoring, his blood results back, he would be then moved to AMU and when medically fit they would call down to psych.’ He turned round and said ‘yes I think that is what we shall do.’ Oh excuse me then, have I just answered how you are meant to deal with this so you can go back and run it past the consultant to make yourself look good? I never did see that doctor again, and perhaps as well, who was the DR, him or I?

Another nurse pulled back the curtain and came in carry a drip bag, I was slightly baffled by the fact she then promptly turned around and left again, also because no one had actually said they wanted to give Chris any fluids. I could hear outside the curtain there was a conversation between nurses going on, including the one who had just walked in with the drip. She was asking if she had got the right patient, to which the other nurses repeated the cubical number and no sooner had I heard that she walked back in, once again carrying the drip, only this time she set up the stand and hooked it up. Only one problem with this was the fact no one had actually realised yet that Chris didn’t have a cannula. Both he and I were also starting to ask why he was being given a drip but only managed to be told ‘the doctor wants you to have some fluids’ ok I could have guessed that but why? She left the cubical to go and get a cannula but instead of coming back with one, she came back and removed the drip, now as you can imagine it was almost one in the morning and I couldn’t understand if he was actually having a drip in or not and if he was WHY?

Nurse number three of the evening had now entered the cubical with a tray in her hands, just like the ones they carry around for taking bloods, she told Chris she was going to put a cannula in him. No sooner was she securing that into location did the nurse with the drip bag from before re appear and hook the drip up, so yes he was having fluids and guess what… we STILL didn’t know why, before we even had time to ask again he was being wheeled round to AMU!

The porter wheeled him down the empty corridors, on arrival to AMU Chris was handed over and given a side room of his own. I made sure he was comfy and didn’t need anything and then asked the staff if he was definitely going to be in overnight, they said yes, so I told them I would be going home now and I would return to see how things were in the morning. I walked back down the silent corridors to the main entrance of the hospital, there were not many people around, I got on the phone to the taxi company and he told me to wait inside and they would ring me when the taxi was outside. I sat on a cold wooden bench inside the doors, I could barely keep my eyes open and my brain still hadn’t had the chance to take everything in that had just happened. Before I knew it my taxi was outside and I made my way home.

It was pretty typical of how sods law works when the following day Chris called me to say that he had already seen the psychiatrist by around 11 o’clock, he was however now waiting for her to get back to him after speaking to the consultant. While he was waiting and didn’t know how long that would take I left the girls once again with their Grandad and made my way up to the hospital. I hadn’t been there long when in walked the psychiatrist and stated they had decided it would be best that Chris remained in hospital and he would have to stay on AMU while he waited for a bed on a psych ward. She asked if we had any questions, which at the time this was all too much to take in and my brain was well and truly on overload. We said we didn’t and she left, that was then when the wait for a bed began. After talking to the nurse who had seen us and been amazing when he was last on AMU, she was able to tell us that she had a patient who had currently been waiting for two days for a bed, once we were made aware of this we accepted that he was probably going to be there for quite some time.

Now it was Wednesday evening and the nurse had received a phone call to say they had finally found Chris a bed on our local psychiatric ward, it was the opposite one to where he was on his last admission when he was sectioned. The next problem was how he was going to get there, they are on the same site but they are two different trusts, which would normally mean they wait for an ambulance but the ward sister today had asked me if I would go with him, to which I said that was fine. What I hadn’t accounted for was the fact she then rang security to escort him over as well, I don’t think that she realised I could hear her conversation from where I sat in Chris side room to where she was stood in the nurses bay close by. Basically the conversation was her trying to convince that Chris was in fact okay enough for them to take him there and ‘he is fine, his girlfriend is happy to go with you as well’ and then ‘but why do you need staff from there, I will send a member of my staff… ok come down in about fifteen minutes, he will be ready’ She then came in to let us know he would be taken over shortly.

Fifteen minutes later, Chris was told we would be walking over so we left his bay and in front of us stood two big hospital security guys, in their stab vests, Chris turned to me and said he felt like a criminal, to be honest, so did I! What could we do though? A healthcare assistant walked over, all the time we were being followed by security and once again my body’s reaction to this was to shake, as much as I tried to stop it, it continued. We got into the same old lift I had got into every day a few months before, it still hadn’t been fixed so you still have to hold it shut before it will move, we then spent about ten minutes standing in the same air lock before someone answered the door and  let us in. Once we were on the ward the healthcare assistant handed over the paperwork and her and the two security guards disappeared. Here we were again…


Author: acarerseyes

I am a mum to four gorgeous girls, and a carer to my former partner of eight years, Chris who has a mental illness, BPD. I blog my experiences.. life is tough! We live in Greater Manchester, UK.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s