Earlier on today Chris was struggling with intrusive thoughts again and I was all suggested out, so I turned to twitter to gather ideas from others who have their own methods that help them. By others sharing their Ideas I was able to put together quite a list of things you can do to distract yourself. It doesn’t just have to be from intrusive thoughts, it could be from self harm, low mood etc etc.
- listening to music through headphones
- talking to someone
- writing feelings down
- singing, especially at the top of your voice
- singing backwards, because you will spend a lot of time and energy working the words out
- exercise; walking, running, cycling, running up and down the stairs (just be careful)
- housework, not exciting but everyone has to do it
- play about on the computer
- read a book
- puzzles, whether it be a jigsaw or Sudoku, crosswords
- having a bath, especially with bubbles/lavender oil
- watching some TV
I will keep adding to this list so if anyone has any other ideas feel free to let me know and I will put them on. Big thanks to
@MentalHealthCop @JoinedU1 @DebHazeldine @katemasters67 @diagnosisLOB @rubs98 @mattgrahamdrum @fallingxx23 who all gave ideas and suggestions!